Many people fail in business because of their self-limiting beliefs, which culminate into self-doubts and ultimately their ability to be successful. However, this doesn’t have to be the case, as everyone is capable of learning the tools of the trade to make their business a success but unless these limiting beliefs can be dispelled or changed, the chances of success are slim.
MNC Member Karen Hoad helps people discover their limiting beliefs with her business Becoming Aware. She finds the beliefs people are holding back and limiting potential and helps people to release them so they can make the changes needed to succeed.
In this post, she reveals some of the typical beliefs holding us back and ways to overcome them.
It’s certainly true that starting a new business can be daunting and nerve-wracking; these are certainly scary times when your vulnerability will be tested to the core. The fear of failure can be huge and not only this, there is the thought of what people will think of you, if or when you do fail. On the other side, there may even be a fear of success. Often, it’s more comfortable to live your life in a familiar way, even if it doesn’t feel great on the surface than enter the unchartered territory of success. Many people let these fears and beliefs stop them from creating their own business, even though it is a sound concept and a great business idea.
Limiting Beliefs Holding You Back
Let’s have a look at some of the limiting beliefs you may be faced with:
- I’m not a business man/woman
- I’ll never succeed or be a success
- I don’t deserve to charge a premium price for my product/service
- I can’t put my prices up or people won’t buy
- I can’t earn a living doing something I love
- Others are better, bigger, more organised than me
- I can’t afford to start my business
- If I’m successful, people won’t like me
These are just a few examples and other self-beliefs may be related to your age, such as being too old or too young, your qualifications, particularly that you are not qualified enough or clever enough and even your physical being may come into question including believing that you are overweight.
These beliefs will stop you from fulfilling your true potential. They are self-limiting beliefs that will keep you stuck where you are and the only hope of moving forwards is to recognise this.
Ways To Overcome Your Limiting Beliefs
- Acknowledge and become aware of your beliefs
- Clarify what it is that you want and your goals
- Consider the worst case scenario for your business
- Question your beliefs and form new ones
- Make a decision that you do want to change
- Understand that this will take time
- Seek professional help with someone experienced in finding and releasing/transforming limiting beliefs
In order to succeed in business, these limiting beliefs must first of all be identified and then dispelled. Overcoming them may not be simple and will require time and introspection and it will be an on-going process taken one step at a time. Your beliefs must change with the ever-changing times we live in. If your beliefs don’t change, you won’t change, and this could be a recipe for disaster for your business.
To work with Karen contact her on 07766 427966 for a without obligation chat or email firstname.lastname@example.org