Why the MNC Community champions International Women’s Day.
“The story of women’s struggle for equality belongs to no single feminist nor to any one organisation but to the collective efforts of all who care about human rights.” Gloria Steinem
Blog Editor Nicky Chisholm – Director at The Mumpreneurs Networking Club
Photo by QVision Photography and Balloons by Balloons By Kitty
International Women’s day is celebrated on March 8th every year. It is the annual focal point for the movement for women’s rights. As the quote above states, it is the universal and collective belief in women’s rights through actions that makes the day the success that it is. This year the theme is #pressforchange. IWD is celebrated in many countries around the world as a day to focus on women being recognized for their achievements as one body across any national, ethnic, linguistic, cultural, economic or political divide.
This week MNC has been busy celebrating the women that are part of The Mumpreneurs Networking Club community. This week alone we have run a business accelerate workshop, 3 networking meetings, 4 mentoring sessions, 1 speed networking session and 2 twitter hours – and best of all we were awarded ‘Best Support Network’ at The Mum and Working Awards. We have seen over 250 people and connected 1000’s of people online in this week alone.
Our modus operadi is to constantly connect and empower women who choose to embrace an entrepreneurial journey, we support Mumpreneurs – at any stage of their businesses. The value of MNC community is our ability to connect our voices and beliefs, enabling us to make our actions stronger, more visible and collectively make changes.
Every member of MNC can be a leader within their own area of influence whether at home, work or in business and #pressforchange. In doing so, we do it for our Grandmothers, Sisters, Aunties and our future generations.
So how can you join us to #pressforchange and play your part in this important movement ?
The 5 headings below give you plenty of ideas and opportunities to #pressforprogress. Choose some that you think you can commit to and let us know what you’ll do. A few of our favourites are ‘nominate women for opportunities’ ‘always include and support women’ ‘identify ways to make women more visible’. We know at MNC we are very good at making women more visible!
Think: I will #PressforProgress
- Maintain a gender parity mindset
- question any lack of women’s participation
- identify alternatives that are more inclusive
- nominate women for opportunities
- always include and support women
- think “50/50” as the goal
- Challenge stereotypes and bias
- question assumptions about women
- challenge statements that limit women
- always use inclusive language
- work to remove barriers to women’s progress
- buy from retailers who position women in positive ways
- Forge positive visibility of women
- identify ways to make women more visible
- extend opportunities to women first
- assume women want opportunities until declined
- select women as spokespeople and leaders
- support visible women
- Influence other beliefs and actions
- supportively call-out inappropriate behaviour
- campaign for equality in meaningful ways
- lead by example via inclusive actions
- be a role model for equality
- actively contribute to changing the status quo
- Celebrate women’s achievements
- believe achievement comes in many forms
- value women’s individual and collective success
- ensure credit is given for women’s contributions
- celebrate women role models and their journeys
- support awards showcasing women’s success
We know as the MNC community we have a responsibility to step up and empower other mumpreneurs to do so too.
Our community is made from individuals and those individuals are YOU!
So join us, get involved and #pressforchange.